Friday, October 31, 2008

Being a White Guy in Ghana

One of the billions of lizards that inhabit ghana.
Four of my host siblings, closest is Addie, the dude is Paw Kwasi, the little girl is Angel, and the girl in black is Mamia

Our tuesday and thursday treat... egg sandwitches and "milo," a wonderful malt coco drink. the guy who helps us is awesome and has made that enormous milo can tower


Bakoniaba road, the driveway to my host home is at the top of this hill



Well the days continue to slip on by here in Sunyani. I have now almost been away from home two months, which seems already like an incredibly long period of time, especially considering that before this I'd never been away for more than a couple weeks. Life is going pretty well for me here, I have become semi used to the flow of Ghanaian life and I am adapting fairly well I'd say. That said, I knew that this year would be a challenge before I left, and having now been here as long as I have, I can see that it indeed will be. In my last post, I explained how school is a very trying aspect of my life here, and today I am going to explain an equally trying aspect, and that is the experience of being a white guy in Ghana.
Walking around as a white person in Ghana is roughly the equivalent of walking around in the U.S. wearing a tutu and a gorilla mask. It makes you an instant novelty. The difference however, is that while most people would avoid a person wearing a gorilla mask and a tutu, Ghanaians certainly do not avoid white people, or in twi, "obrunis." Other than my two safe havens of my host home and my classroom at school, I am verbally confronted everywhere I go, and by anyone and just about everyone. The majority of the banter thrown my way sounds harmless when explained on paper. Most often, the conversations are simple and short, polite questions, such as: "Obruni how are you?" "Obruni where are you going?" Obruni, what is your name?" So obviously, the reason I feel semi assaulted is not because of the content of what people are saying to me. The problem instead, is with the frequency that I am confronted and the frequency with which I must answer to there, "Obruni..." questions. It really is almost incessant, especially when in town I am greeted by a large portion of the people I pass. Considering that most the people are well meaning, I know it sounds rude on my part to say that I am starting to find all these conversations annoying, so instead I will just say that I am starting to find them tiring.
The other problem with these constant interactions aside from their frequency, is the way in which Ghanaians choose to attract my attention so that they can start a conversation. Often "obruni," or "obruni bra,"(white man come) are used to attract my attention, and as I've already mentioned obruni is not on my list of favorite words. The most common way people grab others attention, however, is by hissing. So, I'll be walking through sunyani and I'll feel as if I am surrounded by hordes of hungry snakes. As much as I would like to just tune the the hissing out and ignore it, I cannot because here in Ghana that would be quite rude. It is funny, because at home it would be rude to call over a complete stranger and demand a conversation, but here I am required by courtesy to at least say a few words. Most often the conversations are short and the people well meaning, as I mentioned before people most often just want to know where I am from, how long I am here, etc. There are however, slightly more annoying people, and those are the ones who like to use obrunis to get a good laugh. This often comes in the form of marriage proposals, requests for me to assist with hard labor, and the most common and most annoying, people who speak to me rapidly in twi and then break into hysterical laughter. I have learned that the best way to deal with these comic obibinis, (black men) is to just smile, nod, and continue on my way.
There is one more kind of interaction I have on a daily basis as a result of being white, and that is requests for money. Obrunis are not only seen as a source of amusement, but also as a source of money. The most difficult part about these requests, is that they most often come from children. I have seen next to zero beggars in Sunyani, but there are an abundance of school children who would love to have a little more spare cash in their pockets. Oftentimes, I'll just be walking to or from school, and kids of varying ages will come and grab my arms or hands, and then ask for money. As hard as it can be, I have to deny them all. I am going to be here for eight more months, and I definitely cannot afford to gain the reputation of being the obruni who is always leaking money. I do not have that hard of a time turning down the older kids, because they are often completely tactless. Apparently white people are so rich that you don't even need to be polite towards them, often they just say, "Obruni give me money!," and I have little difficulty turning them down. I cannot help but feel a bit guilty however, when I turn down the small, big eyed children who grab my hands so fervently.
Well friends, that brings me to the close of newsletter #4, I hope it has been enjoyable. I had intended to send this off more than a week ago, but I have to admit that I have been having quite a few problems with writers block, and hence it took me a bit longer to complete. The writers block was positive in one way however, and that way was that it gave me an idea. I realized that with each passing day life here is becoming more and more the norm for me, and there may be many things that you my readers might find interesting, but that I no longer see as so. My idea then, is to do a Q & A edition, or an edition that is at least part Q & A. So, please, if any of you have any questions for me that I have not covered yet, please send them to me so that i can incorporate them into my next newsletter. Also, if you have any suggestions as to how I can make these newsletters better please let me know!

12 comments:

The pale observer said...

Hi Wes - Found your blog the other day and I've added you to my blog list. I am very interested in following your progression and observations during your year in Ghana. What brought you here in the first place?

I'm a Canadian, been living and working in Ghana for the past 11 years and have quite a different perspective after all this time.

Have a look at my site as well if you have time.

All the best
Holli

www.hollisramblings.blogspot.com

The Evangelist said...

Hey there!

I am happy to have found this blog.

The incessant "obruni! obruni! obruni!" situation would get to be a bit trying after a while for anyone.

In America, we are used to silence when we are among complete strangers as an expression of social politeness.

Among Ghanaians, social distance is thought to be very rude.

I think that it would be perfectly appropriate for the Ghanaian children to be taught that it is not polite to walk up to strangers to ask for money but it is okay to walk up to strangers to inquire about their day. Children are children everywhere we go in the world and all children need to be taught what is gracious and ungracious. Teaching and correcting with smiles and hugs will work well with Ghanaian children, I have found.

I have only been to Ghana once. I will return in a few months.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I learn a lot from reading blogs and I feel more prepared to relocate to Ghana now that I have read more accounts from other Americans who have already arrived and become part of the life there.

Keep writing!
Paul

Anonymous said...

hey wes, my name is Annie and I live in marietta ohio. I'm planning on being an exchange student with afs my junior year and with to either go to Ghana or South Africa, as I came across your blog, I realized the town you were from. I know someone from Bellingham! His name is Santi, I met him at an art program this past summer, he told me all about the taco truck, and Yes We Are and everything.
anyway, I will probably be reading your blog from now on because I'd like to hear what life is like there before I go there. is it easy to get around there only knowing english?

Unknown said...

"because at home it would be rude to call over a complete stranger and demand a conversation"....people in ghana are simply being friendly, thats all there is to it. would u have prefered it if ppl totally ignored ur presence and didnt make u feel welcome? i dont think u appreciated the culture there v much. shame. also, they are interested to know where u r from n what ur doing in gh etc because it is strange to them. they will be wondering what gh has to offer an obroni from america.bearing in mind they wud all die to come to ur country- greener pastures etc.
im ghanaian n when i visited china, they all wanted to touch/feel my hair! but this made me happy- the fact that they were taking an interest in me.

PeterSays said...

Wes, I'm traveling to Ghana to study abroad at the University of Ghana at Accra next semester. If you still check this blog, I would love to get your insight on what it's like as a white american living in Africa.

The pale observer said...

Hi there - you can visit my blog about life as a long term expat in Ghana - there are links to some other valuable sites as well.

Http://hollisramblings.blogspot.com

Anna Osei- said...

just have to get used to the hissing sound. thats a culture thing ur just gonna have to get / or gotton used to. of course ur not gonna like it.. but thats not ur culture.. ist not meant to be rude. but i agree the obruni thing would get tiring. im a ghanaian lady who has lived in the uk all my life, they call me 'abroache' 'foriegn' they can even tell im from abraod. annoying as it is, i get over it. anyway. nice blog.

ANONYMOUS said...

How much does it cost to live in Ghana monthly USD?

Unknown said...

I think that one should be gracious that these children even feel safe around you at all. Given the histoey of white peopke in Ghana. In some Latin countries people see others of African descent and run away and yet you, white man, have little african children running to you.
No one should teach them to act any type of way, you are in their country and should follow their rules. Are africans allowed to come to America and train them to be more etiquette? That's the way of an oppressor, you try and force ones views on whole countries. So love their country or get out. I'm sure they didn't ask you to come.

Unknown said...

💯💯💯💯I was reading his article in disgust.Thank you

Wes said...

The author of this blog should go back to wherever he came from. Very soon what is happening in South Africa will happen in Ghana. Go back to your country colonizer

Unknown said...

Its is observation, i loved reading it even if you didn't liked it. Its the reality and its a good thing to know before going to Ghana.

People are welcoming ++ but yes, its a different culture and they only see the color of our skin.

Ignoring maybe not the best way but everybody yelling Obruni and talking to stranger is a bit too much.